Live & Serve in Latin America courses were developed for participants who wish to focus their time in Latin America on service and/or cultural learning projects. These are not just travel trips; the expectation is that you'll stay a week or more in an area and focus on service and learning. They may be completed in addition to the Live & Learn language study options but cannot be taken simultaneously.
The instructor works with local schools and organizations to establish projects and can work with participants to arrange additional opportunities; options for structured language practice and home stays are available in many locations.
Volunteer and cultural projects vary by location but could involve schools, orphanages, museums, recycling centers, health services, sea turtle research and protection, wildlife rescue, tropical agriculture, archaeology, art, drumming, local crafts and cooking, building projects, and programs for the elderly, indigenous people, individuals with disabilities, and street kids.
This is independent travel study so you pick the dates. You can register for 1 to 4 weeks and receive 60 Clock Hours/PDUs or 6 quarter credits (equivalent of 4 semester credits) per week.
PLEASE NOTE: The Heritage Institute courses receive Continuing Education Quarter Credits awarded by Antioch University Seattle at the 400 and 500 levels. Call 800.445.1305 or log onto The Heritage Institute’s website policies page for more information.
- REGISTRATION FORM/Assignment Summary
- Cancellation Policy and LIABILITY RELEASE FORM 1
- Heritage RELEASE FORM 2
- SYLLABUS (1st week; add'l weeks are similar)
- Course EVALUATION FORM - optional
- Packing List and Recommendations
- Pack light site: onebag.com
- "Before you go" list
- CDC Travel Health
- Kayak Flight Search Engine
- Stacey's Travel Photos with blog and travelogue links
- Heritage Institute/Antioch University Seattle
- Live & Learn in Latin America Website
HOW TO REGISTER
1) Download the REGISTRATION FORM and BOTH RELEASES; fill them out and send them to me, Stacey Holeman, at the address on the registration form with a CHECK* made out to Live and Learn in Latin America for $600 per week (6 quarter hours at the 400 or 500 level); don't worry about the course numbers. (60 clock hours or PDUs per week are available for $400). *There's a Paypal option now - see below.2) Purchase your airline tickets. I like www.kayak.com because you can experiment with different airports and dates. I sometimes choose to buy my flights through www.orbitz.com because they promise to credit the difference if another traveler finds your itinerary at a cheaper price before you go.
3) Contact the Volunteer Supervisor or Cultural Learning Project Provider and make reservations for your participation; they can likely help with ground transportation and lodging suggestions, too. You will pay them directly if fees are required.
4) Let me know if there's more I can do to help and tell me when you've made the arrangements - can't wait to hear!